It always seems that whenever someone who has visited Italy come back home, the first question everyone always seems to ask them is “How was the food?” And invariably the answer is always ‘Amazing!’
It is no secret that there is fabulous food in Italy. Part of it comes from the dedication to the art of food there ?? it seems almost every Italian dish is an art piece! There is great variety in the mix of colors, flavors and textures in Italian dining. And on top of that, Italian food has also been cited for its relative healthiness.
Chef Lisa Dahl of Dahl &DiLuca Italian restaurant in Sedona, Arizona certainly agrees with that theory. “Italian food, when prepared with art and passion, is wonderfully satisfying, wholesome and healthy,” she says. “You can’t have enough vegetables, olive oil or protein with Italian food.” Chef Dahl’s trip to Tuscany a few years ago helped inspire her to write a cookbook, which won a Best Cookbooks award in 2011.
Here’s why well prepared and wonderfully cooked Italian food offers healthy benefits:
1. Greens & Vegetables ?? Great Italian food dishes are often centered on a healthy use of vegetables and plant greens, fiber-rich ingredients like mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, zucchinis, beans, and more. Chef Lisa Dahl’s dishes gives customers a deliciously satisfying feeling afterwards, precisely because of the goodness of these ingredients involved.
2. Using Olive Oil ?? It’s safe to say there is no such thing as Italian food without olive oil! The reason is simple. Overall, using olive oil for cooking has been cited for its healthy benefits. Plus, olive oil helps to bring out the food’s natural juices, which improves the taste and smell of the Italian food delicacies. Traditional Italian meats like salami and pepperoni take on a healthier flavor when prepared with olive oil. Chef Lisa Dahl believes in olive oil so dearly that she also sells her own super Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive oil at her site.
3. Great appetizers go with great Italian food ?? Traditional Italian dinners are blessed with appetizers like soups, wheat breads, and antipastas. These low-fat dishes combine meat, fruits, and vegetables for a delicious and healthy appetizer. Mixed with leafy greens in salads, and your great Italian meal starts out with wonderful health benefits.
4. It’s the Meat! ?? Italian food is known for its meats like pepperoni, salami, prosciutto and more. These Italian meats are normally treated with natural ingredients, and are smoked, salted, and air-dried to preserve freshness. That why the meats served in Chef Lisa Dahl’s great Italian restaurants are so delicious and rich-tasting.
5. Cheese ?? One cannot describe delicious and healthy Italian food eating without a mention of cheese. With hundreds of types of Italian cheese varieties, delicious Italian meals are always complemented well. All the calcium in Italian cheeses helps to contribute to a bounty of goodness. Eating calcium-rich cheese has been shown to make teeth and bones stronger, while helping to reduce the risk of high blood pressure. Maybe that’s why Italians live an average of 3-5 years longer than most Americans!
Chef Lisa Dahl takes pride in sourcing the freshest, most healthy ingredients for her fantastic Italian food cooking at Dahl &DiLuca and CucinaRustica in Sedona. Her signature meals are always complemented with the freshest ingredients for all of its signature meals. Stop in to enjoy!